In honor of National Candy Day, we are sharpening up our sweet teeth (yes, we have more than one) and taking this ultimate candy quiz! Mmmmmm!
“You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate bar.” -George Carlin
When Lisa loves me, she calls me Jolly Rancher or Chuckles. When I annoy her, I become Jelly Belly, Butterfinger or Milk Dud. These tasty monikers don’t faze me…they just make me drool.
I have a mouth full of cavities, a chocolate stash under my bed and a kid named Oompa Loompa to show how deep my sweet tooth run for creamy, sticky, chewy, coated, hard, soft, gummy, sweet and sour candy.
Take this test to see if you’re a confectionary champ or a bonbon bust! True or False…
1) The first Lifesaver flavor was cherry.
2) The Snickers bar was named after a pig.
3) Bubble Yum was the first soft bubble gum.
4) A pack of Starburst Fruit Chews has over 50% of your daily vitamin C.
5) Pez candy was originally a breath mint for adult smokers.
6) “Pour Some Sugar on Me” was an ’80s anthem performed by Metallica.
7) A milk chocolate candy bar has more protein than a banana.
8) The Chicken Dinner Bar, a chocolate-covered nut roll, was introduced during the Depression.
9) Jell-o was introduced to the marked in 1897, created by a cough medicine manufacturer.
10) Licorice was found in King Tut’s tomb.
11) Bazooka bubble gum was named after the weapon.
12) Swallowed gum stays in your stomach for 7 years.
13) Red M&M’s were discontinued from 1976-1985 because the colour was associated with blood, sex, and Satanism.
14) In “Summer Rental,” John Candy smoked cigars, gambled and drove a really loud car.
15) In the 1940s, Little Orphan Annie was a spokesperson for Tootsie Rolls.
16) Jelly Belly has a vomit-flavored jelly bean.
17) Tic Tacs slogan was “If he kissed you once, will he kiss you again?”
18) An 11 year old boy invented the popsicle.
19) The first candy cane was made 100 years ago.
20) There were 5 golden tickets to be found in “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”
……scroll for answers……
Answers (don’t peek):
1) False – peppermint
2) False – horse belonging to the Mars family
6) False – Def Leppard
11) False – after a musical instrument created by 1930s entertainer Bob Burns
12) False – myth
13) False – FDA banned Red Dye #2, even though M&Ms didn’t have this dye
14) False – as Buck in the 1989 movie “Uncle Buck”
15) False – Kraft Caramels
17) False – Certs slogan
19) False – over 300 years ago